Countif layering

  1. #1
    Ben Blair
    Guest

    Countif layering

    I have a data file of three columns: one is a subject (math, art, etc.), the
    second contains a code for the first student to get it right (AA, e.g.) and
    the students that got it wrong (AA, e.g.). My data looks something like this,
    but much longer:
    A B C
    Math AA AE
    Sci AB none
    Lit BE BA
    Art BC AA, AC
    Math AD AE

    I want to compute the number of right and wrong for each cubject for each
    student, in a sheet like this one:
    Math R Math W Art R Art W.....
    AA x y
    AB
    AC
    AD
    BA

    What is the best way to calculate these numbers? What combination of
    functions should I use for x and y? Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: Countif layering

    With multiple entries in a single cell in columns B & C, you've got a mess to
    deal with. If the row you have shown as

    Art BC AA, AC

    was broken into 2 rows

    Art BC AA
    Art AC

    and the same for all other rows where you have multiple codes in a single
    cell, you could get your desired results VERY, VERY EASILY with pivot table.

    Short of that, I'm not sure how you could get from where you are to an
    accurate result like what you want.

  3. #3
    bj
    Guest

    RE: Countif layering

    The right answers ones are pretty easy

    if your totals table is in sheet2 Manes in Column A and courses in the first
    row
    Assuminc Column B is Math R
    enter in B2
    =sumproduct(--(Sheet1!$B$1:$B$1000=$A2),--(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$1000="Math"))
    Copy to the Art R and Lit R columns changing "Math" to "Art" and "Lit" as
    appropriate.
    Copy this down to the end of your student list

    since there can be multiples in the Wrong column this equaiton gets a little
    more complex
    If you can change the wrong column into separate cells for each wrong person
    Look at Data-Text to Columns with Comma delimiter for one method
    enter in the cell under the Math W cell
    =sumproduct( --(Sheet1!$c$1:$c$1000=$A2)
    --(Sheet1!$D$1:$D$1000=$A2)--(Sheet1!$E$1:$E$1000=$A2),--(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$1000="Math"))
    *Add as many sections in first part as is needed.*
    or
    =sumproduct(--(if(iserror(find($A2,
    Sheet1!,$C$2:$C$1000),0,1),--(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$1000="Math"))
    Copy these to the LIT W and Art W columns Making appropriate changes and
    copy for your student list.