Highlighting Highest Total

  1. #1
    Edward O'Brien
    Guest

    Highlighting Highest Total

    I have 4 columns of figures B, D, F and H with 4 totals: B30, D30, F30 and
    H30.

    Can anyone give me a formula within "Conditional Formatting" that will
    highlight the cell (say in pale blue) with the lowest total of the four?

    Thanks in advance

    Ed

  2. #2
    Guest

    Re: Highlighting Highest Total

    Hi
    Highlight the four cells (B30, D30, F30, H30) in that order and try
    something like:
    Formula is
    =H30=MIN(B30,D30,F30,H30)

    --
    Andy.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Leo Heuser
    Guest

    Re: Highlighting Highest Total

    Ed

    One way:

    1. Select B30
    2. Hold <Ctrl>
    3. Select D30, F30 and H30
    4. Release <Ctrl>

    Choose "Conditional formatting" and enter
    the formula:

    =B30=MIN($B$30,$D$30,$F$30,$H$30)

    Choose a formatting.

    --
    Best Regards
    Leo Heuser

    Followup to newsgroup only please.

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Domenic
    Guest

    Re: Highlighting Highest Total

    Try the following...

    1) Select/highlight B30

    2) Format > Conditional Formatting > Formula Is

    3) Enter the following formula:

    =(B30<>"")*(B30=MIN($B$30,$D$30,$F$30,$H$30))

    4) Choose your formatting, such as 'pale blue'

    5) Click Ok

    6) Copy the formatting to your other cells (D30, F30, and H30) using the
    'Format Painter' or 'Copy > Paste Special > Formats'.

    Hope this helps!

    In article <[email protected]>,

  5. #5
    Edward O'Brien
    Guest

    Re: Highlighting Highest Total

    Bingo...

    Thanks to everybody for your help. I just looked at the clock - less than
    half an hour!!

    What a system! :-))

    Ed

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Edward O'Brien
    Guest

    Re: Highlighting Highest Total

    Hi, Domenic.

    No luck, I'm afraid. No highlights atall. I was very careful to get your
    formula right and treble checked.

    I'm using Excel 97 - does that make any difference?

    Ed

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Edward O'Brien
    Guest

    Re: Highlighting Highest Total

    Yes, Andy. It was that that did the trick. Many thanks.

    Ed

  8. #8
    Guest

    Re: Highlighting Highest Total

    Glad to help and thanks for the feedback!

  9. #9
    Naz
    Guest

    Re: Highlighting Highest Total

    Sorry change the 19s to 30
    --

    _______________________
    Naz,

  10. #10
    Naz
    Guest

    Re: Highlighting Highest Total

    Go to ONLY the first cell B30 goto conditional formating enter the following
    formula

    =F19=MIN($D$19,$F$19,$H$19,$B$19)

    select the format you want. Click OK

    The using the format painter (paint brush on toolbar), doouble clikc and
    apply to all four cells. Don't forget to press Esc to turn format painter off.

    That should do it.

    --

    _______________________
    Naz,

  11. #11
    Edward O'Brien
    Guest

    Re: Highlighting Highest Total

    Thanks, Naz. As you can see from the other postings, I'm delighted to say
    all is working fine.

    Best wishes,

    Ed

    news:[email protected]...

  12. #12
    Guest

    Re: Highlighting Highest Total

    It was only that long because I gave you a bum steer!!

    --
    Andy.

    "Edward O'Brien" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Bingo...
    >
    > Thanks to everybody for your help. I just looked at the clock - less than
    > half an hour!!
    >
    > What a system! :-))
    >
    > Ed
    >

    > "Leo Heuser" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> Sorry. The formula should have been
    >> =H30=MIN($B$30,$D$30,$F$30,$H$30)
    >>
    >> LeoH
    >>
    >> "Leo Heuser" <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >>> Ed
    >>>
    >>> One way:
    >>>
    >>> 1. Select B30
    >>> 2. Hold <Ctrl>
    >>> 3. Select D30, F30 and H30

  13. #13
    Leo Heuser
    Guest

    Re: Highlighting Highest Total

    You're welcome, Edward, and thanks for the feedback :-)

    LeoH