Multiple-Test Conditional Formatting

  1. #1
    BruceS
    Guest

    Multiple-Test Conditional Formatting

    Hi, everyone!

    I have a spreadsheet in which one column (B) contains an item "type", e.g.
    "C" or "H". In another column (G), I put a "required" sub-item. I am trying
    to conditionally format the cell in column G to do the following:

    If Col B = "C" and Col G is blank, make background of Col G red;
    Otherwise, make background of Col G normal.

    Using normal CF, I can make G's background red if Col B = "C" (formula is),
    or I can make it red if Col G is blank (cell value is), but can't seem to
    find the trick of combining the two different condition types with an "AND".

    I've looked through over a dozen posts here as well as checked out Debra
    Dangleish's site and cpearson.com. Can't find anything similar.

    Can anyone help?

    Thanks,
    BruceS

  2. #2
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: Multiple-Test Conditional Formatting

    Try this:

    Select G1, then,

    Formula is,
    =AND(B1="C",G1="")

    Copy down as needed.
    --
    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: Multiple-Test Conditional Formatting

    Bruce,

    Select the cells in G2. This CF formula is for where the active (white)
    cell of your selection is G2:

    =AND(B2="C", G2="")
    --
    Earl Kiosterud

  4. #4
    bj
    Guest

    RE: Multiple-Test Conditional Formatting

    try =and(B1="C",G1="")
    I often have to reenter the conditional formating section a couple of times
    cause Excel tries to correct what I say and I have to get rid of Quote marks
    or absolute references. (Of course I do make enough mistakes, that some of
    the reentries are because I wrote it wrong.)

  5. #5
    BruceS
    Guest

    RE: Multiple-Test Conditional Formatting

    Thanks, guys!! Worked great.
    BruceS