How to use excel file created in version earlier than 4.0a in 4.0

  1. #1
    ajimmo
    Guest

    How to use excel file created in version earlier than 4.0a in 4.0

    Thanks to whomever answered my query but when I opened the email the screen
    was blank. My laptop is sick. My question was and still is, how can I use my
    Excel files created in a recent version on my laptop in my PC which is loaded
    only with Excel 4.0a . Please and thanks.
    --
    Thanks, Ajimmo

  2. #2
    Harald Staff
    Guest

    Re: How to use excel file created in version earlier than 4.0a in 4.0

    Hi Ajimmo

    You can't, the file format changes twice since version 4. You need a newer
    Excel version, a compatible spreadsheet program, or simply a viewer if all
    you want to do is view / print the file.

    HTH. Best wishes Harald

    "ajimmo" <[email protected]> skrev i melding
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    PC
    Guest

    Re: How to use excel file created in version earlier than 4.0a in 4.0

    Use Save As and select an earlier version of XL in the File Type area.

    PC

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    ajimmo
    Guest

    Re: How to use excel file created in version earlier than 4.0a in

    Dear Harold: Thanks so much to settle the question. So, do I go to Staples
    and buy a later version? Any later version? Will the new program step
    forward and grab the fle on opening if I don't uninstall the older version(as
    in trying to uninstall a nasty little anti-spy program I am told "can't find
    the install.log and so I seem to be stuck with that). Will the two installed
    Excel programs present a problem as descibed. I hope I can navigate back to
    this site to read the answer; it took all morning to do so and I still don't
    know how I got back, or why I was so lost or why the answer adn request for
    permission to continue which appeared on my email was blank. Thanks in
    advance and retrospectively.
    --
    Thanks, Ajimmo

  5. #5
    Harald Staff
    Guest

    Re: How to use excel file created in version earlier than 4.0a in

    Hi Ajimmo

    You may be happy with Excel 4 and it may do all that you need. But it's
    really antique and served its time well. Now let it rest and take advantage
    of the inventions of the last decade. Even freeware applications perform
    better than Excel 4.

    Newer Windows Excel file formats are

    Excel 5 + Excel 7 (aka Excel 95). Multiple worksheets in a workbook. Don't
    buy those unless you're a collector like me.

    and

    Excel 2000 + Excel XP + Excel 2003.

    The latest version is all any authorized reseller will sell you. If you go
    to the secondhand market, note that XP and 2003 have "product activation" in
    it, and if the software has been activated already then you may have
    problems or even a worthless piece of software.

    2000 was a very good year. If I had to choose a single version, and
    sometimes I do; Excel 2000. It will open and work with all Excel files from
    all versions, no problems. (If we leave VBA out of the discussion that is,
    and we do)

    If youy're using a Mac, then money is not an issue anyway. Buy Excel 2004,
    it's great.