Adding zero prefix to no's

  1. #1
    Cheryl W
    Guest

    Adding zero prefix to no's

    I have 500 cells typed as 1234567/1.
    But I need them to read as 01234567/01
    (8 digits at the beginning, but the first digit must be a zero - followed by
    a slash - followed by 2 digits).

    Any suggestions how I can do this automatically?

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Adding zero prefix to no's

    One way ..

    Assuming the data is in A1 down

    Put in B1:

    =0&LEFT(A1,SEARCH("/",A1)-1)&"/"&0&MID(A1,SEARCH
    ("/",A1)+1,99)

    Copy down
    --
    Rgds
    Max
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: Adding zero prefix to no's

    I'd use a helper column with a formula (dragged down):
    Are they all 7 characters in the first portion?

    if yes:
    ="0"&SUBSTITUTE(A1,"/","/0")

    If no:
    =RIGHT(REPT("0",8)&SUBSTITUTE(A1,"/","/0"),11)

    You can always copy|paste special|values to convert to values, then delete the
    original column.

  4. #4
    Cheryl W
    Guest

    RE: Adding zero prefix to no's

    Thanks Max
    I can get the zero at the beginning to work, but not the 2 digit number at
    the end (after the slash) - any suggestions on just a formula for this?

    Regards

  5. #5
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Adding zero prefix to no's

    But it seems to work ok here under testing ?

    It's presumed that the source data will have a single digit after the slash

    So if you have in A1:A3

    1234567/1
    1234567/2
    1234567/3

    B1:B3 will return as:

    01234567/01
    01234567/02
    01234567/03

    Perhaps you could clarify the understanding above, and/or paste some samples
    of the source data and the expected results ?
    --
    Rgds
    Max