Pivot table field types

  1. #1

    Pivot table field types

    Hi,
    when dragging in data fields into a pivot table, the default field type most often comes up as 'count'. I often have to right click over the field, and change the field setting to sum, and do this individually for each field. Does someone know if there is a way to change the default to 'sum' or to quickly convert all the data fields to sum in my pivot table? This is annoying the hell out of me!
    Much appreciated,
    Steve.

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Pivot table field types

    You can't change the default settings for the data fields. If a field
    contains blank cells, or cells with text, it will default to COUNT.
    Otherwise, it will SUM.

    There's a feature that changes all the data fields to SUM, in my pivot
    table add-in, that you can download here:

    http://www.contextures.com/xlPivotAddIn.html

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List