Linking feature changed in Excel?

  1. #1
    bxr222
    Guest

    Linking feature changed in Excel?

    Hello,
    I am having a problem with linking worksheets. A few weeks ago I would do
    this:

    1) Open source sheet.
    2) Highlight cells. Click EDIT|COPY.
    3) Open destination worksheet. CLICK|PASTE SPECIAL

    At this point a box would open up called Paste Special box would open that
    would allow me to select Microsoft Excel Object and paste a link. This no
    longer happens. The window is very different now and does not seem to have
    the same functionality. I have tried it in both Excel 2000 and 2003 with the
    same outcome. Anyone have any ideas on this?

  2. #2
    Haven't got a clue if this is the answer you are after. Microsoft has this wonderful feature which only displays recently use icons, it can be turned off Tools > Customise > Options and make sure 'Always show full menus' is selected

    OR

    Right click a menu bar, into 'customize' > Commands, select Edit from the list and 'Paste Special' should be there, Left Click and drag to a bar
    Mole

  3. #3
    Bob Umlas
    Guest

    Re: Linking feature changed in Excel?

    There's a button on the Paste Special dialog called Paste Link -- is this
    what you're looking for?

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4

    Re: Linking feature changed in Excel?

    Are your worksheets in different workbooks?

    If they are, then maybe you've started two different instances of excel (and
    opened each workbook in separate instances).

    Copy|paste special will show a different dialog if that's the case.

    Try opening the first workbook, then file|open the second workbook and see if
    things get back to "normal".

    Ps.

    If you opened the second file by double clicking on it in windows explorer and
    want to open that workbook in the same (already running) instance of excel...

    Sometimes one of these works:

    Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)

    --- or ---

    Close Excel and
    Windows Start Button|Run
    excel /unregserver
    then
    Windows Start Button|Run
    excel /regserver

    factory defaults.

  5. #5
    bxr222
    Guest

    Re: Linking feature changed in Excel?

    Dave,

    You are a genius. Problem solved. I was trying to do it in the same instance
    of excel. Thanks for the assist.