when copying sheet, warning that formula or sheet

  1. #1
    Mark
    Guest

    when copying sheet, warning that formula or sheet

    When copying a sheet within a workbook, I sometimes get a warning that the
    formula or sheet contains a name, do you want to proceed. Many times, the
    name is my own name. How do I get rid of these embedded names?

  2. #2

    Re: when copying sheet, warning that formula or sheet

    I'd get a copy of Jan Karel Pieterse's (with Charles Williams and Matthew
    Henson) Name Manager:

    You can find it at:
    NameManager.Zip from http://www.oaltd.co.uk/mvp

    It'll help you decide what you want to do with the name.

  3. #3
    Mark
    Guest

    Re: when copying sheet, warning that formula or sheet

    This seems much too complicated for me. Is there a more simple way? Also,
    please see the next message in which I copied down the exact error message.

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4

    Re: when copying sheet, warning that formula or sheet

    Insert|Name|Define|select the name you want to delete and click delete.

    Although, I think I'd to that complicated work to make sure I didn't break
    something.

  5. #5
    Mark
    Guest

    Re: when copying sheet, warning that formula or sheet

    Dave - that doesn't work, as 'mark' doesn't appear when I go to
    insert/name/define.

    Here is the error message that pops up:

    a formula or sheet you want to move or copy contains the name 'mark' which
    already
    exists on the destination worksheet. Do you want to use this version of the
    name?

    This happens only once in a while, and I don't know why.

    Is there any way to get rid of the name conflicts or whatever is causing
    them?

  6. #6

    Re: when copying sheet, warning that formula or sheet

    The name may be hidden.

    That utility has an option to show hidden names.