highlight selected row permanently until u move out from the row

  1. #1
    nwhan
    Guest

    highlight selected row permanently until u move out from the row

    as records in excel increase, its hard for us to know which rows we are
    selected or referring to..for example column(A) to column(Z) in row 10
    it will be easier if the selected row(10) is highlighted the moment we move
    to row10
    to edit any column ...
    wonder if i can do that ?

    when u move out from row10, maybe to row 15...then row 15 will be
    highlighted next..
    the moment we move to whichever row, that particular row is to be
    highlighted..

    can it be done ? thanks...

  2. #2
    Pank
    Guest

    RE: highlight selected row permanently until u move out from the row

    Hi Nwhan,

    I asked the same question sometime ago and was offered the following
    solutions were offered by Julie D, Bob Philips and Ron de Bruin.

    See below.

    Hi Pank

    found this code from an old post by Earl Kiosterud - which seems to do what
    you require
    ---------

    Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Excel.Range)
    Static Roww As Integer
    Static NotFirstTime As Boolean
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    If NotFirstTime Then ' remove color fill from prior row
    Range(Cells(Roww, 1), Cells(Roww, 10)).Interior.ColorIndex = xlNone
    Else
    NotFirstTime = True
    End If
    Range(Cells(Target.Row, 1), Cells(Target.Row, 10)).Select
    Roww = Selection.Row ' save current row for uncoloring when row exited
    Selection.Interior.ColorIndex = 4 ' color current row
    Application.EnableEvents = True
    End Sub

    ------------

    to utilise the code, right mouse click on the sheet tab of the sheet you
    want to use this in - choose view code - and copy & paste the code in there
    use alt & f11 to switch back to the sheet and try it

    Cheers
    JulieD

    '----------------------------------------------------------------
    '----------------------------------------------------------------
    Cells.FormatConditions.Delete
    With Target.EntireRow
    .FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlExpression, Formula1:="TRUE"
    With .FormatConditions(1)
    With .Borders(xlTop)
    .LineStyle = xlContinuous
    .Weight = xlThin
    .ColorIndex = 5
    End With
    With .Borders(xlBottom)
    .LineStyle = xlContinuous
    .Weight = xlThin
    .ColorIndex = 5
    End With
    End With
    .FormatConditions(1).Interior.ColorIndex = 20
    End With

    See this Add-in
    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/RowLiner.htm

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: highlight selected row permanently until u move out from the row

    See Chip Pearson's Rowliner page.

    Download the rowliner add-in.

    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/RowLiner.htm

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  4. #4
    nwhan

    "Gord Dibben" wrote:

    > See Chip Pearson's Rowliner page.
    >
    > Download the rowliner add-in.
    >
    > http://www.cpearson.com/excel/RowLiner.htm
    >

    > Gord Dibben Excel MVP
    >
    > On Tue, 31 May 2005 22:20:02 -0700, "nwhan" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >as records in excel increase, its hard for us to know which rows we are
    > >selected or referring to..for example column(A) to column(Z) in row 10
    > >it will be easier if the selected row(10) is highlighted the moment we move
    > >to row10
    > >to edit any column ...
    > >wonder if i can do that ?
    > >
    > >when u move out from row10, maybe to row 15...then row 15 will be
    > >highlighted next..
    > >the moment we move to whichever row, that particular row is to be
    > >highlighted..
    > >
    > >can it be done ? thanks...

    :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    hey Pank,
    thanks for ur codes..but i got it earlier from elsewhere d...
    looks almost the same logics...however
    same problem when used...
    it works fine on rows which has no pattern colour ..
    for eg: if i have pattern colour blue in row10...
    when i move over to row10 and when it is selected, it will overwrite the
    pattern colour and turned back to colourless...
    1more prob i found, if protect your work sheet. u'll not be able to enable
    the highlighting anymore...
    kinda problematic...any solution ?

    gord dibben, thanks for that...
    i tried that out but when u save it, the thing will be saved as well ..
    and will appear staticly when u open up da form...
    any solution ? or edition ?

    anyway thanks to u both...

  5. #5
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: highlight selected row permanently until u move out from the r

    nwhan

    The rowliner download from Chip's site is an add-in.(*.xla)

    Place it in your Office\Library folder and load through Tools>Add-ins.

    Rowliner works on the activesheet of any workbook.

    Nothing to save and what is meant by "staticly"?

    Gord

  6. #6
    nwhan

    "Gord Dibben" wrote:

    > nwhan
    >
    > The rowliner download from Chip's site is an add-in.(*.xla)
    >
    > Place it in your Office\Library folder and load through Tools>Add-ins.
    >
    > Rowliner works on the activesheet of any workbook.
    >
    > Nothing to save and what is meant by "staticly"?
    >

    > Gord
    >
    > On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 19:01:52 -0700, "nwhan" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >gord dibben, thanks for that...
    > >i tried that out but when u save it, the thing will be saved as well ..
    > >and will appear staticly when u open up da form...
    > >any solution ? or edition ?
    > >
    > >anyway thanks to u both...

    ok...thanks
    but under add-ins which should i check ? there are many add-ins but all
    arent checked...so which 1 ?