help wanted in updating worksheet automatically

  1. #1
    Madhu
    Guest

    help wanted in updating worksheet automatically

    Could you please help us with an excel query.

    We have an excel file with fields in a random order.

    The values in these fields have to be picked up and arranged one below the
    other in a separate area. The values to be picked up always have a fixed
    cell address.

    Awaiting reply

    Elle

  2. #2

    Re: help wanted in updating worksheet automatically

    How about just selecting the range, copy it, paste it to its new location.

    Then select that new range and do Data|Sort?

  3. #3
    Bill Ridgeway
    Guest

    Re: help wanted in updating worksheet automatically

    My first comment is that a well designed spreadsheet should always have
    fields in a logical order - although there may need to be some compromise in
    this. This facilitates the entry of data in an orderly fashion. It may be
    an advantage to have one worksheet solely for inputting data with another
    one for actually using and presenting that data. If you have an existing
    spreadsheet it is easy to insert columns and rows and cut and paste columns
    and rows.

    To address your question directly I think you need to design a spreadsheet
    which will present your data in whatever way users require. To use data in
    another worksheet insert = and then go to the appropriate cell and press
    enter. You can insert operands and formulae using this method.

    One last tip. It is very useful to have all inter-related worksheets
    contained in a single spreadsheet. Doing this ensures that any changes
    (either data or structurally) are reflected immediately. Having worksheets
    in different spreadsheets is a recipe for the two to get out of kilter.

    Regards.

    Bill Ridgeway
    Computer Solutions

    news:%[email protected]...