[SOLVED] Counting rows, then counting values.

  1. #1
    Michael via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    [SOLVED] Counting rows, then counting values.

    I have a lot of spreadsheets with many rows and columns of numbers. I need
    a way to find the highest value in each row, (mark it some how, bold the
    number maybe), then count the number of "highest" values are in each
    column.

    Is there an easy way to do this?

    Thank You,
    Michael

  2. #2
    Texas
    I would use the MAX function to determine the highest value in each column for example to find the highest value in column A insert a row at row 1 and inter this function =Max(A2:A1000).

    Use the conditional formatting too to identify the location of the max value by selecting the entire column, select format on the toolbar, then conditional formatting then choose under condition 1 cell value - equal to - then enter "=A1" in the value field and choose the format to differentiate the max value from the rest of the field.

    To count the number of occurences of that max value, use the countif function.

    Barrfly
    Barrfly

  3. #3
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: Counting rows, then counting values.

    Hi Michael

    You can use this to get the value

    =MAX(A1:A20)

    and this to count

    =COUNTIF(A1:A20,MAX(A1:A20))

    --
    Regards Ron de Bruin
    http://www.rondebruin.nl

  4. #4
    Michael via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Re: Counting rows, then counting values.

    How can I count how many of the highest values are in each column. Example:
    Rows = Hours, Columns = Days. I need to find out which of the hours in each
    day is the highests number. Next I need to count how many days have the
    same hour as its highest number.

    1:00 2:00 3:00 4:00
    Monday 12 13 14 15
    Tuesday 16 18 25 10
    Wednes. 20 14 40 30

    Total: 1 1 2 0 <- this is the output im looking for

  5. #5
    Michael via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Re: Counting rows, then counting values.

    First part works great, is there a way to do a fill so that I don't have to
    do it for every line? How do you I use the countif statement to count the
    number of bolded numbers in each column?

    Thank you everyone for the help!

    Michael

  6. #6
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: Counting rows, then counting values.

    See the second formula that I posted
    =COUNTIF(A1:A20,MAX(A1:A20))

  7. #7
    Tbentsen
    Guest

    Mark highest number?

    Is there a way in which you can make Excel mark the higest number in a row or
    column?

    Example:

    A B C
    1 1 3 2

    In this example, I would like the cell B3 (or the text in the cell)
    automatically highlighted, as it being the higest value of the three cells
    A1:C1

    Is this possible?

    Thank you for any answers!
    Thomas Bentsen

  8. #8
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Mark highest number?

    Check out Conditional Formatting in XL Help. One way:

    Select A1:C1. Choose Format/Conditional Formatting. Set the dropdowns
    and textbox to read

    CF1: Formula is =A1=MAX($A$1:$C$1)
    Format1: Patterns/<highlight color>