Result of date as Month-2 digit Year

  1. #1
    Linda
    Guest

    Result of date as Month-2 digit Year

    I have columns of dates that the users must enter as actual dates. I can
    format to display month and two-digit year...but when creating pivot tables
    it reconizes the entire date. Since I want to summarize only by month and
    year or by year only, is there a formula or statement that will change the
    date to month-year or year status only?

    Thanks.
    --
    Linda

  2. #2
    Harald Staff
    Guest

    Re: Result of date as Month-2 digit Year

    Hi Linda

    Sure. Rightclick the date field header in the Pivot table, choose menu
    "Group and show detail" > "Group"... . You will get a list offering Seconds,
    minutes, hours, days, months, quarters, years. Try selecting months,
    quarters and years and see what happens.

    Re your other post; Try the Group menu also for other data types, it can
    create some amazing summaries.

    HTH. Best wishes Harald

    "Linda" <[email protected]> skrev i melding
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Linda
    Guest

    Re: Result of date as Month-2 digit Year

    Thanks Harald...I did try that and the result for date and all other field
    headers in the pivot table was....Can Not Group by that Field.

    However, I did find that by selecting the rows of the pivot table results
    that I want grouped and following the steps you also listed, that they will
    group with a title of group 1, group 2 ect. Then it is just a matter of
    changing that resulting title to...in my date question of the month-year or
    year.

    Probably not the best solution...but it works.

    Linda

  4. #4
    Harald Staff
    Guest

    Re: Result of date as Month-2 digit Year

    Hi Linda

    Very very strange. You should test it on a new, small file so that you can
    see what it's supposed to do and maybe spot the error from there:

    Enter a date in A2 and a number in B2. Fill down 100 rows or so. Add
    headers in Row 1, make a pivot table with the dates as row source and group
    by the it as described.