How to stop text changing to date

  1. #1
    Abbi
    Guest

    How to stop text changing to date

    I have a column of text that's in the style 1994/95, 1995/96, etc. When I
    paste it into Excel, after setting the column to Format Cell General, the
    entries beginning with 19 go in as text. That's what's supposed to happen.
    But -- here's my problem -- the entries 2000/01, 2001/02, etc. go in as
    dates. I can't fix this even by manually deleting the dates, resetting the
    cell format to General, and TYPING in the characters. The cells above are
    still showing as Format Cell General. The problem cells mysteriously change
    from General to Custom.

    There must be some way to stop this 'helpful feature.' Any suggestions?

    Excel 2003.

  2. #2

    Re: How to stop text changing to date

    If you're doing one cell, you can preformat the cell as text and then paste into
    the formula bar.

    If you're doing multiple cells, I'd paste into a text file (notepad), then
    file|open that text file.

    When you open the text file, you'll see the text import wizard popup. You can
    specify that you want certain fields brought in as text -- not General and not
    dates.

  3. #3
    Abbi
    Guest

    Re: How to stop text changing to date

    Thanks. For those reading this, one of my mistakes was formating the cell as
    General when I should have formatted it as Text.

    Abbi