error in sum formula result

  1. #1
    babygrand
    Guest

    error in sum formula result

    I'm no Poweruser of Excel, just an occasional user with a little experience,
    but I have come across a strange behavior, and wonder if you have seen this
    before, and what might be causing it.

    I recently did a new spreadsheet to track some costs, and constructed a
    simple formula to extract a sum from three cells. The three cells each
    contained currency numbers, lets say 235.45, 100.44 and 95.51. The formula
    I used was =SUM(F13.F15), and the result was off by -.01. In other words
    the last three digits of each number, 5,4 and 1 should have yielded a 0, but
    in fact returned a 9. I checked to see that all the cells in question were
    formatted as currency, with two significant digits after the decimal.

    Anything I have overlooked? I assume it's some sort of rounding error, but I
    sure would like to get rid of it.

    I'm stumped, and any help would be appreciated.

    TIA

    babygrand

  2. #2
    Niek Otten