Import data from files with different names to EXCEL D'base.

  1. #1

    Import data from files with different names to EXCEL D'base.

    I have partly set-up an EXCEL Database which will have a macro to Import data from files with different names.

    These files have all been set-up with the same layouts and contain 5 worksheets ... 4 require various inputs by the 'End Users' and 1 has been set-up so that it has 1 row of information, which is populated by the Inputs from the other 4 worksheets i.e. by Cell Referencing. This row of data has been given a 'Named Range' ("Database_Line") in preparation for the Import into the Database (called "CR Database").

    My problem is that the 'End Users' will be giving all sorts of different names to the files to be Imported from.

    What I want to happen within an Import Macro, which will operate from a 'Button' in "CR Database", is that a Dialogue Box will open so that the Database Operator can Browse/Navigate to the required file, Select it, then the macro will continue to Import the one 'Named Range' ("Database_Line") of information into "CR Database".

    I have most coding sorted, but I just can't work-out how to get a Dialogue Box to open, for Browsing/Navigation, and then for the macro to continue operating once the required file has been selected. Help!!!!! .

    Most of my Coding is done by using the 'Record Macro' option within EXCEL, but I can edit/add some coding that 'Record Macro' won't do, so I do have some limits in understanding coding ...... but, for an "oldy", I'm learning .

    Help is desperately needed on this, so if you want any further details let me know. I'm using EXCEL 2000.

  2. #2
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: Import data from files with different names to EXCEL D'base.

    Thunderfoot,

    Something along the lines of

    Sub TryNow()
    Dim myBk As Workbook
    Set myBk = Workbooks.Open(Application.GetOpenFilename _
    (, , "Select the file"))
    Range("Database_Line").Copy _
    ThisWorkbook.Worksheets(1).Range("A65536").End(xlUp)(2)
    myBk.Close False
    End Sub

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bernie,

    Thanks. This bit of coding is nearly what I want. I can work on it to get it to do exactly what I want.

    You sorted my major problem, which was how to get "Select the File" dialogue box to open then get the macro to continue once the file was selected.