Formula on Actual Vs Plan

  1. #1
    Eddy
    Guest

    Formula on Actual Vs Plan

    Hi Friends!
    Could some help me on this formula?
    I need to complete a task say from 1-Jun-05 to 30-Jun-05 i.e 30 days,
    but however on a given day when I analyse the Project schedule (say
    today), I find out that on the 9th day i.e 9-Jun-05 on actual progress
    I have completed only 4% of the Job, Hence what should be my forecasted
    days to complete the job a 100% in actual, now putting it in a
    mathematical sense:
    100% = 30days (Plan)
    4% = 9days (Actual & when the plan is 30%)
    Hence 96% = ? (How may days in Forecast)

    I want the formula to be dynamic, such that on the 15 day if I catch up
    with my plan I will be 50% in Actual but if on the 28th day I am still
    say 65% in Actual then what would be the forcasted days or total days
    to still complete my work a 100% in actual

    Any help would be very appreciated
    Regards
    Edward

  2. #2
    Kent, UK
    Try this
    Cell G1 contains the project start date

    A2 contains the current date, B2 has the current completion %.
    C2 contains =+(100/B2)*(A2-G$2) which will return total project days at current rate
    =+G$2+C2 then shows forecast completion date
    =+C2-(A2-G$2) will show number of days left befre completion (at current rate)

    Hope this helps

  3. #3
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Formula on Actual Vs Plan

    If I understand you correctly, one way:

    If A1 = start date, and B1 = %complete, then if 4% complete after 9
    days, the total job will be 225 days (9/4%), with 216 days remaining:

    =(TODAY()-A1+1)*(1/B1-1)

  4. #4
    Eddy
    Guest

    Re: Formula on Actual Vs Plan

    Alex Delamain wrote:
    > Try this
    > Cell G1 contains the project start date
    >
    > A2 contains the current date, B2 has the current completion %.
    > C2 contains =+(100/B2)*(A2-G$2) which will return total project days at
    > current rate
    > =+G$2+C2 then shows forecast completion date
    > =+C2-(A2-G$2) will show number of days left befre completion (at
    > current rate)
    >
    > Hope this helps
    >

    > --
    > Alex Delamain

    Thanks for your replies, but I think you all are missing the point. I
    think you are ignoring either the Finish date or the Plan percentage
    completion. I would appreciate if you took this into consideration,
    Edward

  5. #5
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Formula on Actual Vs Plan

    Then you need to be more explicit. The answers you got were pretty
    consistent with the amount of information you gave.

    To use your example, with a 30 day plan, if you find you're 4% done on
    day 9, how should one factor in the Finish date or plan percentage in
    calculating "forcasted days" or total days to complete?

    Seems to me that if you're 4% done after 9 days, you're completing 4/9%
    per day, and it will take you 24*9 (216) additional days to finish, no
    matter what the plan said.

  6. #6
    Jerry
    Guest

    Re: Formula on Actual Vs Plan

    How is the percentage of completion being determined? Is it manually
    entered or computed using a formula?

    Jerry
    news:[email protected]...