Make Cell Look like Textbox

  1. #1

    Make Cell Look like Textbox

    I'd like to have a spreadsheet cell look like a textbox on a windows form. The textboxes will be perpendicular and adjacent to each other. No cells between cells.

    Essentially I'm trying to add padding to a the cell border. So each cell is separate and distinct like a textbox.

    For an example look at the sample spreadsheet with the free xml 2003 add-in.

    Appreciate the assistance.

    I've attached a sample of what I'm looking for.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bjoeylouie; 06-10-2005 at 12:26 AM.

  2. #2

    Re: Make Cell Look like Textbox

    dude you're crazy

    use Access forms. you can do this without a problem.

    Access is Excel on Steroids

  3. #3

    This is Crazy

    What I'm trying to do in Excel has already been done. This is nothing new. I'm just trying to learn this format technique for a better look.

    The sample I attached is from an excel spreadsheet.

    I know how to use Access, for this project it is over-kill.

  4. #4
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: Make Cell Look like Textbox

    Excel and Acess are really for quite different applications, and many people
    use Excel when they should be using Access. Forms (they're called
    UserForms) can be made in Excel, much like in Access. I think the OP was
    trying to make a worksheet form (not a UserForm), and trying to get it to
    look more like a UserForm.

    One issue with using a sheet as a form is that many people don't know how to
    change stuff in Excel cells. One has to know that anything one types will
    replace the cell contents unless you double-click or F2 into Edit Mode. You
    don't just click into the box and change whatever's there as with UserForms,
    Access forms, boxes in web pages and many other interactive things.

    --
    Earl Kiosterud

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: Make Cell Look like Textbox

    Apparently you're using a worksheet to make a form. You can put extra rows
    and columns between the cells that are to function as textboxes, to make
    them separate. Then put borders around the cells that are to function as
    textboxes. You'll want to control access to the extra (non textbox) cells
    with sheet protection ("select unlocked cells" only). You can turn off the
    worksheet gridlines (Tools - Options - View). You can also put real
    textboxes on the sheet with the Forms toolbar, or the Controls Toolbox
    toolbar. They can be linked to cells, which can be elsewhere, hidden or
    whatever, so only the text boxes are visible.

    --
    Earl Kiosterud

    "bjoeylouie" <[email protected]> wrote

  6. #6

    Re: Make Cell Look like Textbox

    Access isn't overkill for anything.

    Excel is a disease; and beancounters are the enemy.

    My goal in life is to get Excel dorks fired-- to automate them out of a
    job.

    People that 'only know excel' in addition to some easy accounting
    coursework--- those people should be roadkill...

    Excel dorks somehow dont understand that they need to commit themselves
    to numbers in order to get ahead.

    Most Excel dorks i work with don't take numbers seriously.

    Why in the heck is it overkill in Access?

    I mean-- would you rather make the same XLS every week; or have it
    AUTOMATED??