need an error msge when I attempt to enter a duplicate value in a

  1. #1
    pg23673
    Guest

    need an error msge when I attempt to enter a duplicate value in a

    I am entering unique serial no. in col A. Can I set up a rule which will not
    allow a duplicate serial no. entry into another cell?

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    London
    If you put a Custom Data Validation as follows:-

    =IF(MATCH(A1,A:A,0)<>ROW(A1),FALSE,TRUE)

    This assumes that you are putting the serial number in column A, adjust accordingly if this is not the case

  3. #3
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: need an error msge when I attempt to enter a duplicate value in a

    See

    http://cpearson.com/excel/NoDupEntry.htm

  4. #4
    bj
    Guest

    RE: need an error msge when I attempt to enter a duplicate value in a

    Check out the validation in the Data section.
    select the area of interest (A:A)
    <data><validation><Settings><Custom>
    enter =countif(A:A,A1)=1

    Set the error alert as you want it

  5. #5

    Re: need an error msge when I attempt to enter a duplicate value in a

    Chip Pearson has something that can help:
    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/NoDupEntry.htm

  6. #6
    pg23673
    Guest

    Re: need an error msge when I attempt to enter a duplicate value i

    Thanks for the help guys.