How do I sort a list of dates in Excel by month and day?

  1. #1
    Caroline
    Guest

    How do I sort a list of dates in Excel by month and day?

    I have a list of birthdate in excel (imported from another program). I would
    like to be able to sort this list by month and day (for a "birthday list").
    Any suggestions?

  2. #2

    Re: How do I sort a list of dates in Excel by month and day?

    If the data are really dates, you could use a helper column filled with this
    kind of formula:

    =text(a2,"mmdd")

    And sort by that.

  3. #3
    Nih
    Guest

    Re: How do I sort a list of dates in Excel by month and day?

    Lets assume Names are in column A and birthdate is in column b. Put your
    curser in the first cell B1. Hit Shift then space bar, you will see the
    whole row selected. While still holding shift page down to the last row of
    info then hit "sort Ascending" button in the toolbar. If you dont see the
    button for it then hit Data>sort from the Data menu at the top.

  4. #4

    Re: How do I sort a list of dates in Excel by month and day?

    That'll sort by date. I think Carolyn wants it so that all of January's
    birthdays are together--no matter what year they're from.