"Save As" folder -- can I default this to the same folder as origi

  1. #1
    Mike
    Guest

    "Save As" folder -- can I default this to the same folder as origi

    When I open up an Excel file using Windows Explorer, I sometimes want to use
    "Save As" to change the name of the file (eg. new month extension, version 2,
    etc.)

    When I do this, Microsoft defaults to a different folder -- it is the folder
    that I saved my last Excel file, which usually is a totally different folder.

    Is there a way for me to have SAVE AS default to the same folder that the
    current file is?

    Any ideas is greatly appreciated! This has been quite annoying.

  2. #2

    Re: "Save As" folder -- can I default this to the same folder as origi

    It sounds like you're using xl97. MS changed the behavior to offer to save to
    the folder that contained the original with xl2k.

    Maybe you can upgrade???

    Or if it's just that single workbook, you can have a macro that does the
    changing of folder.

    Option Explicit
    Sub testme01()

    Dim mySavedPath As String

    mySavedPath = CurDir

    ChDrive ThisWorkbook.Path
    ChDir ThisWorkbook.Path

    Application.Dialogs(xlDialogSaveAs).Show

    ChDrive mySavedPath
    ChDir mySavedPath

    End Sub

    If your file is on a Network path (not mapped), you can use this instead. (In
    fact, this works no matter what.)

    Option Explicit
    Private Declare Function SetCurrentDirectoryA Lib _
    "kernel32" (ByVal lpPathName As String) As Long
    Sub ChDirNet(szPath As String)
    Dim lReturn As Long
    lReturn = SetCurrentDirectoryA(szPath)
    If lReturn = 0 Then Err.Raise vbObjectError + 1, "Error setting path."
    End Sub
    Sub testme02()

    Dim mySavedPath As String

    mySavedPath = CurDir

    ChDirNet ThisWorkbook.Path

    Application.Dialogs(xlDialogSaveAs).Show

    ChDirNet mySavedPath

    End Sub