Excell not asking to allow macro's

  1. #1
    Nathan Weldon
    Guest

    Excell not asking to allow macro's

    I have a user who has set macro security to medium so that he is prompted
    when a workbook contains macros in it. However, now the computer is not
    prompting him to allow macros, and the workbook is not opening. This is only
    if the user double clicks the file, if he starts excel and then opens the
    file with excel, he is prompted to enable the macros. Anyone have any
    thoughts on how to change this or do I have to re-install excel?

  2. #2
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: Excell not asking to allow macro's

    Nathan,

    I think the problem is that the workbook isn't opening; this doesn't sound
    like a macro security issue. Before you reinstall Excel, which
    statistically, from what I've heard, never fixes anything, try some of the
    usual fixes. Take a look at http://www.smokeylake.com/excel/vfaq.htm. Try
    the stuff in "Excel acts generally goofy."

    --
    Earl Kiosterud

    news:%[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: Excell not asking to allow macro's

    Does the user get any error messages back when he/she double clicks on the file?

    Maybe the workbook isn't even getting closed to being opened???

    Sometimes one of these works:

    Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)

    --- or ---

    Close Excel and
    Windows Start Button|Run
    excel /unregserver
    then
    Windows Start Button|Run
    excel /regserver

    factory defaults.

  4. #4
    Bill Sharpe
    Guest

    Re: Excell not asking to allow macro's

    Will an Excel file without any macros open properly when the file name
    is double-clicked?

    I had a problem where no files would open in Excel by clicking on a file
    name, although Excel itself could be opened and Open File worked fine. I
    had to unregister and then re-register Excel to fix the problem. That's
    much easier than re-installing Excel.

    Bill