Why does Custom Format not control Cell Display?

  1. #1
    Dennis
    Guest

    Why does Custom Format not control Cell Display?

    XL 2003

    Have a cell which shows in the formula bar:
    06/10/2005 10:10:32 AM

    In the worksheet (same cell but unselected) the display is:
    38513.4239814815

    No matter what I do with cell formating i.e. general to
    text to custom (BTW which is mm/dd/yyyy h:mm) the cell
    displays 38513.4239814815 UNLESS I select the cell - then
    it displays 06/10/2005 10:10:32 AM?

    When I de-select the cell it reverts back to 38513.4239814815

    I thought that I knew better! What is the very obvious thing that I am
    missing?

    Dennis

  2. #2

    Re: Why does Custom Format not control Cell Display?

    Maybe you're looking at formulas...

    Tools|options|view tab
    Uncheck Formulas

    There's a shortcut key that toggles this setting
    ctrl-`
    ctrl-backquote. The backquote is to the left of the 1/! key on my USA
    keyboard.)

    Maybe you hit that combination in error.