Cell to equal a worksheet's name

  1. #1
    David P.
    Guest

    Cell to equal a worksheet's name

    Is there a way for a cell to equal the worksheet's name?
    --
    David P.

  2. #2
    Paul B
    Guest

    Re: Cell to equal a worksheet's name

    David, try this, the file must have been saved for this to work

    =MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("]",CELL("filename",A1))+1,255)
    --
    Paul B
    Using Excel 2002 & 2003

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    David P.
    Guest

    Re: Cell to equal a worksheet's name

    Thank you Paul. Because I am a novice when it comes to code and where code
    goes (other than where macros are stored by default) can you clarify what
    your suggestion means...couple of questions:

    1) Where does the code go that you suggested?

    2) Would the code you suggested be a macro? that formats the value of the
    specified cell to "equal the active worksheet's name"?

    3)If my cell is A1 for example, which of the following parts of your
    suggestion do I change:
    =MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("]",CELL("filename",A1))+1,255)

    4) If it is a macro would the final format look like this (with the
    neccesary changes made to your example)?:

    Sub macroname()
    '
    ' macroname Macro
    ' Macro recorded 6/10/2005 by BLINDS ETC
    '

    '
    =MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("]",CELL("filename",A1))+1,255)
    End Sub

    5) Can you suggest a recource for me that might be titled "Visual Basic Code
    for Dummies" ? Thanks again.

    --
    David P.

  4. #4

    Re: Cell to equal a worksheet's name

    This formula goes into any cell that you want--it's a regular worksheet formula.

    =MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("]",CELL("filename",A1))+1,255)

    But the workbook does have to be saved at least once for this to work.

    Debra Dalgleish has a list of books at her site:
    http://www.contextures.com/xlbooks.html

    John Walkenbach's is a nice one to start with. I think that John Green (and
    others) is nice, too (for a second book??). See if you can find them in your
    local bookstore and you can choose what one you like best.