Excel formulas to create large blocks of text

  1. #1
    Greg Boettcher
    Guest

    Excel formulas to create large blocks of text

    I can't seem to use formulas in Excel 97 to produce blocks of text that
    are bigger than about 1000 characters. I have gotten around the length
    restrictions of the formulas themselves by doing a lot of concatenating
    of strings, but I have found no way to increase the volume of text that
    a formula generates. Instead of 1000 characters, I need about 3500
    characters. Is there any way to achieve this?

    Thank you to whoever can help me with this.

    Greg

  2. #2
    CyberTaz
    Guest

    RE: Excel formulas to create large blocks of text

    Hi Greg-

    From Excel 2000 Help (I believe this applies to '97 as well);

    Length of cell contents (text) 32,767 characters. Only 1,024 display in a
    cell; all 32,767 display in the formula bar.

    HTH |:>)

  3. #3

    Re: Excel formulas to create large blocks of text

    If you insert alt-enters in your text (or &char(10)& in your formulas) every
    80-100 characters or so, then you can see lots more than the document 1k number
    of characters.

  4. #4
    Greg Boettcher

    Dave Peterson wrote:
    > If you insert alt-enters in your text (or &char(10)& in your formulas) every
    > 80-100 characters or so, then you can see lots more than the document 1k number
    > of characters.

    It isn't a question at all of how much I can see. I'm trying to copy
    the contents of the cell and paste it to a text file. It's not working.
    I'm only getting about 1000 characters.

    I gather that what I want to do is not possible, but if somebody knows
    otherwise, please let me know.

    Thanks for the reply.

    Greg

  5. #5

    Re: Excel formulas to create large blocks of text

    It was possible for me.

    I put this in a cell:

    =rept("a",32767)

    I copied (with a simple ctrl-c) that cell and pasted into my favorite text
    editor (UltraEdit32) and got 32767 characters.

    Maybe it's the other program that you're pasting into???

  6. #6
    Greg Boettcher

    Dave Peterson wrote:
    > It was possible for me.
    >
    > I put this in a cell:
    >
    > =rept("a",32767)
    >
    > I copied (with a simple ctrl-c) that cell and pasted into my favorite text
    > editor (UltraEdit32) and got 32767 characters.
    >
    > Maybe it's the other program that you're pasting into???

    Thanks a lot, Dave. Finally I have isolated the problem. As you pointed
    out, the problem does not happen with just any Excel formula, but it
    can happen in extreme cases like mine. (I was concatenating a lot of
    cells, and those cells themselves consisted of a bunch of formulas.) I
    finally did find a way around the problem by copying and pasting the
    values to another part of the spreadsheet.

    Anyway, thanks again for your help. You got me moving in the right
    direction.

    Greg