Update Excel Data List for Drop Down use

  1. #1
    LynnS
    Guest

    Update Excel Data List for Drop Down use

    I have created data lists that were named (name field left of formula field)
    and have those lists tied to cells as drop down data validation options. I
    now need to add additional entries to the data lists, but am unable to get
    them added into the existing groups. I've tried re-highlighting and naming
    again - no go.
    I am an admitted novice, but really look forward to getting this recurring
    document as drop and click as possible. Appreciate any help.

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Update Excel Data List for Drop Down use

    You could use a dynamic range, that would automatically expand to
    include new entries. There are instructions here:

    http://www.contextures.com/xlNames01.html

    Or, to redefine the existing range:
    Choose Insert>Name>Define
    Select the name in the list
    In the Refers to, change the cell reference
    Click OK

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  3. #3
    Easy Solutions
    Guest

    RE: Update Excel Data List for Drop Down use

    This can be as easy as inserting a cell in the middle of the range that you
    initially created, this will update the data that is referenced by the
    validation program.