Using a Symbol in a formula.

  1. #1
    JB in Kansas
    Guest

    Using a Symbol in a formula.

    I want to display a symbol in a cell, the symbol displayed depends on the
    cell next to it being a positive number or negative number. I would like to
    have this in the form of a IF(A1>0,TRUE,FALSE) where different symbols would
    appear for true and false.

    Any one have a way to do this?

  2. #2
    Chip Pearson
    Guest

    Re: Using a Symbol in a formula.

    First, find the ASCII character code for the symbol you wish to
    display. Then use a formula like

    =IF(A1>0,CHAR(mmm),CHAR(nnn))

    --
    Cordially,
    Chip Pearson

    "JB in Kansas" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Jason Morin
    Guest

    RE: Using a Symbol in a formula.

    You can return various characters and then change the font to get a symbol.
    For example, in B1 you can use:

    =IF(A1>0,CHAR(164),CHAR(209))

    Format B1 as Webdings. You'll get a clipboard or key. To see the entire
    character map in different fonts, type this into row 1 of any cell:

    =CHAR(ROW())

    and fill down to row 252. Now try different fonts on the column like
    Webdings, Wingdings, Marlett, etc.

    HTH
    Jason
    Atlanta, GA

  4. #4
    JB in Kansas
    Guest

    RE: Using a Symbol in a formula.

    Jason and Chip, Thanks a bunch, I think I got it.