Add new inventory list to existing list

  1. #1
    jweasl
    Guest

    Add new inventory list to existing list

    I have an existing inventory with the item # and qty listed. When I add new
    items to the inventory, I need to have a way to check for duplicates (besides
    the Find/Replace functions), and if there are duplicates, add the quantities
    together, otherwise add it as a new entry. HELP!

  2. #2
    Martin P
    Guest

    RE: Add new inventory list to existing list

    It can be done with the very useful SUMPRODUCT function. My example will need
    some refinement, but illustrates the principle. I based it on only 20 entries.
    I named a few ranges:
    items: cells A2 to A21
    quantities: cells B2 to B21
    ranks: cells C2 to C21
    A1 contains the heading "Item #" and B1 contains the heading "Quantity".
    Enter the item number and quantity as you get the information.
    C1 contains the heading "Rank". Cell C2 has the following formula:
    =IF(ISBLANK(A2)=FALSE,RANK(A2,items,5),0)
    This is copied down to C21.
    Cells E1 to E21 are numbered from 1 to 20.
    Cell F1 contains the heading "Item #" and cell G1 contains the heading
    "Quantity".
    F2: =IF(I2<>0,H2/I2,"")
    G2: =SUMPRODUCT(quantities,--(ranks=E2))
    H2: =SUMPRODUCT(items,--(ranks=E2))
    I2: =SUMPRODUCT(--(ranks=E2))
    Copy F2:I2 to F2:I21.