password protected:can I secure a sheet when it's a vlookup design?

  1. #1
    guideme
    Guest

    password protected:can I secure a sheet when it's a vlookup design?

    can I secure a sheet when it's a vlookup design?
    I have 2 sheets... sheet 1 is for my vlookup formula, sheet 2 is where
    all my data reside and it's hidden.

    now. sheet 1 is interactive where-in users enter in an area code, hit
    enter then it populates the data from the sheet 2.

    I tried password protection but if I did that, it won't let users enter
    in an area code hence extract info. from sheet2.

    what's my alternative?

  2. #2
    Bill Kuunders
    Guest

    re: password protected:can I secure a sheet when it's a vlookup design?

    Protect the sheets but unlock the cells the user needs access to.

    to unlock, go to:
    format<>cells<>protection

    --
    Greetings from New Zealand
    Bill K

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    guideme
    Guest

    re: password protected:can I secure a sheet when it's a vlookup design?

    Hi Bill,
    Thanks that worked, but I have another problem... I want the cursor to
    stay on the cell where they enter the area code on that specific sheet
    only.
    (not the whole excel program).
    Bec. when I went to Tools/options/edit/uncheck the "Move selection
    after Enter".
    Every time I work on another worksheet which is unrelated to the said
    sheet. The cursor does not move down when I hit enter, of course it
    works when I hit arrow down or up.
    any insights?

  4. #4
    Bill Kuunders
    Guest

    re: password protected:can I secure a sheet when it's a vlookup design?

    This requires a small macro instruction into the worksheet code.

    To get there
    right click onto the sheet tab and select <>view code<>

    select "worksheet" in the dropdown list which shows "(General)"
    select on the right window "activate" and paste the code

    Application.MoveAfterReturn = False

    between the Private sub()........and
    End sub() lines.

    select "deativate" and paste the code