Proper(text) Formatting

  1. #1
    Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address)
    Guest

    Proper(text) Formatting

    I have cells with text in all caps. I can change them to Proper
    formatting by using:

    [B1] = Proper(A1)

    and then copying B back over top of A and then finally erasing B.

    Is there some way however to tell Excel to simply format the cell using
    the rules for Proper()? I've tried playing with the Custom format, but
    haven't stumbled into any syntax that seems to work for it. I don't
    really care if the text itself is actually changed to Proper format as
    long as it's displayed as such.

    If necessary I can write a macro to do it, but it struck me as something
    that might be already built into some dark corner of Excel.

    Thanks....

    Bill

  2. #2

    Re: Proper(text) Formatting

    Not through formatting.

    But you could have a worksheet event that looks for your changes and fixes them
    as soon as you hit enter.

    See Chip Pearson's site:
    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/case.htm
    Look for: Changing Case On Data Entry

  3. #3

    Re: Proper(text) Formatting

    ps. And change this line:

    Rng.Value = UCase(Rng.Value)
    Rng.Value = application.proper(Rng.Value)

  4. #4

    Dave Peterson wrote:
    > Not through formatting.
    >
    > But you could have a worksheet event that looks for your changes and fixes them
    > as soon as you hit enter.
    >
    > See Chip Pearson's site:
    > http://www.cpearson.com/excel/case.htm
    > Look for: Changing Case On Data Entry