range.Tag property

  1. #1
    Robbe Morris [C# MVP]
    Guest

    range.Tag property

    I have to jump back into the long forgotten world of VBA... (at least in my
    mind).

    Does Excel offer a place to store a database key for a given cell?

    I need to be able iterate through the ranges of a spreadsheet, grab
    the cell values or cell formulas along with a previously populated database
    key for that cell. My program that generates the spreadsheet would
    prepopulate the .Tag oriented property with the database key to begin with.

    I don't see anything there so far. Can any gurus provide any
    good suggestions before I dive into a custom solution which
    would create a new spreadsheet that contains range names and
    a map back to the database key they belong to.

    I'm hoping there is a cleaner way...

    --
    2004 and 2005 Microsoft MVP C#
    Robbe Morris

    Earn $$$ money answering .NET Framework
    messageboard posts at EggHeadCafe.com.
    http://www.eggheadcafe.com/forums/merit.asp

  2. #2

    Re: range.Tag property

    In xl2002+ (IIRC), there's an .id property for ranges. But it disappears when
    you close the workbook. So if you need it to be persistent, that's out.

    My first thought would be to dedicate a cell on the same row--just use an helper
    column to hold the key you need.