Mix, Volume and Price impact on revenue

  1. #1
    Stumped in San Francisco
    Guest

    Mix, Volume and Price impact on revenue

    Looking for some assistance...

    I am trying to determine how to create a summary that will analyse the
    differnce between Revenue from one quarter to another...

    For Example

    In Quarter 1

    Part Unts Price Revenue
    A 10 5 50
    B 5 3 15

    Total revenue for quarter is 65

    In Q2
    Part Unts Price Revenue
    A 20 4 80
    B 6 3 18

    Total revenue for quarter is 98

    So we had a 33 change in revenue from Q1 to Q2...so how much was related to
    volume, how much to Price erosion and how much to Mix?

    I know how to isolate the ASP impact and can get to a combined Mix/Volume
    dirrerence....but I will be damed if I can remember how to split out voiume
    from mix.....any help would be greatly apprecaited.

  2. #2
    Gary's Student
    Guest

    RE: Mix, Volume and Price impact on revenue

    This comment has nothing to do with Excel. From the perspective of revenue
    analysis, one approach is to take the +33 revenue change and split it up into
    understandable parts. For example:

    1. +3 is attributed to a 20% increase in sales of unit B
    2. + 30 is attributed to 100% increase in sales of unit A resulting (?) from
    a 20% price drop

    Other factors may have affected the sales gains, but more data is required
    to substantiate that.
    --
    Gary's Student

  3. #3
    Henderson, NV, USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

    Re: Mix, Volume and Price impact on revenue

    Here's an Excel spreadsheet template that will show how you can split out Mix Variance and Volume Variance:

    Quarterly Price Volume Mix Variance .xlsx

    This site will give additional background regarding this topic:

    Mix Matters