Copying Sheets causes errors

  1. #1
    Brad Sumner
    Guest

    Copying Sheets causes errors

    I have a quite extensive Excel workbook that I am using to track data and
    changes. I had made changes to a coupld of the pages on an older version of
    the document and wanted to keep those changes so I copied the sheets that I
    needed to the more current version of the document. As a result I have
    inadvertantly created links to the older version and it is messing me up. I
    have tried useing the "Break Links" under Edit and that doesn't seem to do
    anything. I am not wanting to have to redo everything but it looks like I am
    left with that being the only option. Does anyone have any suggestions.
    What is happening is that some of the named ranges are having the names of
    sheets inserted into their formulas when they don't belong there, when I try
    and remove them and save it doesn't stay edited.

  2. #2
    SVC
    Guest

    RE: Copying Sheets causes errors

    Have you checked the ranges via Insert > Name > Define? It may be that the
    ranges being pulled are referencing the old workbook, and you might need to
    delete the range names and reinsert them.

  3. #3
    Brad Sumner
    Guest

    RE: Copying Sheets causes errors

    I am sorry for not being clear, it is in the named ranges that the worksheets
    names are being inserted. Like I have a named range called PCSize. it should
    be looking at one other named range called PCRace. However when I look at
    the named range formula it instead insterts 'Sheet back'! before the named
    range it is to be looking at when I try and remove the extra stuff it doesn't
    take, also the named ranges from some sheets aren't able to be used in some
    others.

    If you know when you copy a sheet that has named ranges to another book, it
    asks if you want to create the named range or use a link. I think I may have
    told it to use the link on accident and now it won't look internally within
    the document for any data on some sheets.

  4. #4

    Re: Copying Sheets causes errors

    When I can't find links, I'll use Bill Manville's FindLink program:
    http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm