Substitute each instance of "B"in a range with value in Col A

  1. #1
    AMK
    Guest

    Substitute each instance of "B"in a range with value in Col A

    need to substitute each instance of "B" in a range B4..g24 with the value in
    the Corresponding row, Col A.
    --
    Al

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Substitute each instance of "B"in a range with value in Col A

    You could use a formula like

    =SUBSTITUTE(UPPER(B4),"B",$A4)

    if you want "B" and "b" replaced if you only want "B" replaced

    =SUBSTITUTE(B4,"B",$A4)

    copy across five columns, then down, once done you can copy and paste
    special as values and replace the old table

    Peo Sjoblom

    (No private emails please)

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: Substitute each instance of "B"in a range with value in Col A

    And maybe one more variation?

    =SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(B4,"B",UPPER($A4)),"b",LOWER($A4))

  4. #4
    AMK
    Guest

    RE: Substitute each instance of "B"in a range with value in Col A

    Thanks but neither solution appears to work. I need to exchange each instance
    of "B" in the Range with the Value in Col A same Row as the "B".

  5. #5

    Re: Substitute each instance of "B"in a range with value in Col A

    You'll need the same formula for each cell in that range.

    If you put the formula you want in column H4 and drag to M4, then select H4:M4
    and drag to row 24, it might just work ok.

  6. #6
    AMK
    Guest

    Re: Substitute each instance of "B"in a range with value in Col A

    Yes, this works just fine. I didn't quite understand it before. Thanks