sorting problem in excel 2000

  1. #1
    inenewbl
    Guest

    sorting problem in excel 2000

    Hi all. When i try to sort a particular column in excel i was prompted the
    following
    "Microsoft excel cannot calculate a formula. Cell references in the formula
    refer to the formula’s result, creating a circular reference". I have other
    excel documents with the same type of data as the problematic column but did
    not face such problem. How can i solve this? Thks in advance.

  2. #2
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: sorting problem in excel 2000

    Kind of hard to answer not knowing what the formulas are but i expect
    that you are referencing cell that are not on the same row, and might
    be able to solve your problem with OFFSET if it is anything like
    resembling a checking account.
    .http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/insrtrow.htm
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/offset.htm
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/sorting.htm

    When sorting you usually want to select all cells on the worksheet
    Ctrl+A (or on Excel 2000 Shift+space) Before sorting so that
    the entire row travels with the data being sorted on the same row.
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/shortx2k.htm

    Do you know what a circular reference is. it is when a cell value
    is dependent upon itself. A few people can work with that .
    It certainly doesn't help Excel work better. the status bar
    will usually show you where the circular reference is but in your
    case evidently the sort recognizes a problem an stops.

    HTH,