"Group" function very slow with Excel 2003 :( ... While very quick with Excel2000 :O)

  1. #1
    Alain79
    Guest

    "Group" function very slow with Excel 2003 :( ... While very quick with Excel2000 :O)

    HI

    We are facing a consistant difference in real time behavior between
    Excel 2003 behaviour and Excel 2000 behaviour in the usage ot the Group
    function...

    Using the exact same Excel file that have around 1000 lines with several
    level of grouping, the time needed to group under level 1 or 2 is around 2
    to 3 seconds with Excel 2000 while it is around 25 to 30 seconds with Excel
    2003. In both case the same function is quite immediat if we settle the
    calculation mode to manual...

    The same phenomenon can be seen if you ask for the group function on a file
    without any formulas while another big excel file with a lot of formulas is
    open at the same time but not active...

    Is there something different than the calculation mode that should be
    settled in Excel 2003 in order to get the same response time on group
    function than in Excel 200? Any other information, experience about that
    problem? Is it link to a different behavior of excel in front of calculation
    strategy?

    Thanks for your help
    Alain79

  2. #2

    Re: "Group" function very slow with Excel 2003 :( ... While very quick

    Just a guess...

    xl2003 added some options to the =subtotal() worksheet function.

    In earlier versions, =subtotal() would ignore the rows that were hidden by
    filtering (data|filter|autofilter for example).

    In xl2003, you can use =subtotal(10x,a1:a99) to ignore cells hidden manually.

    My bet is that is what causes excel to recalc.

    The only way around it (that I know) is to change the calculation mode before
    and after--or even interupt the calculation in mid stream. I hit the escape key
    to interupt that calculation.

    Excel will catch up when it can. Usually when I'm staring at the data and my
    fingers are off the keyboard/mouse. Watch the statusbar. If it says Calculate,
    excel hasn't finished.

  3. #3
    Alain79
    Guest

    Re: "Group" function very slow with Excel 2003 :( ... While very quick with Excel2000 :O)

    Thanks Dave for this information - It is the first consistant one I ever get
    on this tiopic but I do not feal so safe with it...
    I have already tried to stop the calculation by hitting the esc key - it
    sometimes work, sometimes not...

    If you are right, do you know another way to interrupt?
    Is there any configuration parameter that would permit to modify the excel
    behavior...
    Is there a way to intercept the Grouping command by some code?

    additional info: In my case, Excel tell very quickly "calculation 100%" but
    then wait some more tens of seconds before finishing the grouping...

    Thanks once more
    Alain79

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4

    Re: "Group" function very slow with Excel 2003 :( ... While very quick

    I think Escape has always worked for me to interrupt the calculation. But
    typing anything into a cell also tells excel to stop calculating and wait for
    the user to finish.

    I don't think that there's any configuration parm that stops this, but maybe
    someone else knows of one.

    Maybe you could add a couple of macros to your favorite toolbar that toggles
    calculation mode.

  5. #5
    Alain79
    Guest

    Re: "Group" function very slow with Excel 2003 :( ... While very quick with Excel2000 :O)

    I have finaly added some more command to my application
    Those commande being
    => show level 1
    => show level 2
    => show level 3
    => show level 4
    => show all lines

    and the basic code behind is
    Sub ShowChapterLevel_subroutine(Level As Integer)
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    ActiveSheet.Outline.ShowLevels Level
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
    Selection.Activate