Checkboxes and macros

  1. #1
    danielle
    Guest

    Checkboxes and macros

    I'm new with working with forms and macros and I'm a little lost. This is
    what I have...

    A B C
    5 0 0

    This is what I need. I need to place 3 checkboxes each in B2, B3 and B4,
    equally Yes,No and N/A. If yes is clicked, then B2 and C2 will populate with
    value "3". If no is clicked, then B2 and C2 will populate with value "0". If
    N/A is clicked then, then B2 and C2 will populate with "-".

    Is this possible? And if so, is there a macro that I can place to do all of
    this? How would I do that macro?

    I'm sorry I'm so dense.....LOL!!

    Thank you in advance!

  2. #2
    Forum Expert
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,256
    Rightclick on the icon bar. Select Forms
    Then Insert 3 Checkboxes. Rightclick on one of the boxes and select cell link. Select B5. Repeat with the other Checkboxes, and select links to B6, B7.

    In B2 insert this formula: =CHOOSE(1+B5*1+B6*2+B7*3,"",3,0,"-")
    If there is a risk that Yes and No is selected, add ,"","",""

    Ola Sandström

    See picture: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment...tid=3487&stc=1
    Attached Images Attached Images

  3. #3
    danielle
    Guest

    Re: Checkboxes and macros

    Thank you so much. I'm trying to insert the formula in B2, but I'm having
    trouble. How do I do that if the checkboxes are in the cell?

  4. #4

    Re: Checkboxes and macros

    You might want to reconsider and use optionbuttons. Then when you choose one of
    them, the other two are not chosen.

    I put a GroupBox from the Forms toolbar around B2:B4
    Then I added 3 optionbuttons to that GroupBox (yes, no, na)
    Then I rightclicked on an optionbutton
    selected format control|On the control tab, I gave it a nice cell link.
    (I used A3 in my test.)

    Then I used this formula to show the text.
    =IF(A3="","",CHOOSE(A3,"Yes","N/A","-"))

    Depending on how you label the yes/no/na optionbuttons, you may have to play
    with that order.

    Then I hid column A -- just so it wouldn't be noticeable. But you could use any
    column you want and hide that column later.

  5. #5
    danielle
    Guest

    Re: Checkboxes and macros

    How do I get my values to show up in in my C column? And is there a way to
    have the checkboxes/option buttons to hide or disappear once they're checked?

  6. #6

    Re: Checkboxes and macros

    Put the formula in a cell in column C.

    Are you sure you'd want to? What happens if the user clicks the wrong one and
    wants to correct it?

  7. #7
    danielle
    Guest

    Re: Checkboxes and macros

    I need the boxes to disappear once it's clicked in order to show the value.
    The spreadhseet that I'm trying to create is based on a monitoring program
    were I am creating at work. The yes, no and n/a options are the only options:
    Either the rep did it, didn't do it, or the question wasnt applicable.

    Is this the formula Im putting in column C:
    =IF(A3="","",CHOOSE(A3,"Yes","N/A","-"))

    What do I need to change because it's not working.

    I'm sorry!

  8. #8

    Re: Checkboxes and macros

    Did you do the linked cell stuff? What cell did you use?

    I used A3 in my example. Change the formula accordingly.

    Assign this macro to each of the optionbuttons (all 3):

    Option Explicit
    Sub HideOptButtons()

    Dim myOptBtn As OptionButton
    Dim OptBtn As OptionButton

    Set myOptBtn = ActiveSheet.OptionButtons(Application.Caller)

    myOptBtn.GroupBox.Visible = False
    For Each OptBtn In ActiveSheet.OptionButtons
    If OptBtn.GroupBox.Name = myOptBtn.GroupBox.Name Then
    OptBtn.Visible = False
    End If
    Next OptBtn

    End Sub

    In fact, you can drop the linked cell and just use code for everything. This
    takes the caption and puts it in C3. Adjust if necessary.

    Option Explicit
    Sub testme()

    Dim myOptBtn As OptionButton
    Dim OptBtn As OptionButton
    Dim myCell As Range

    Set myCell = ActiveSheet.Range("c3")

    Set myOptBtn = ActiveSheet.OptionButtons(Application.Caller)

    myOptBtn.GroupBox.Visible = False
    For Each OptBtn In ActiveSheet.OptionButtons
    If OptBtn.GroupBox.Name = myOptBtn.GroupBox.Name Then
    OptBtn.Visible = False
    If OptBtn.Value = xlOn Then
    myCell.Value = OptBtn.Caption
    Next OptBtn