Counting unique text/number cells from a range

  1. #1

    Counting unique text/number cells from a range

    Please consider a long range of text cells containing A, B, C, D....Z and more.

    Lets say it goes from H1 to H1500

    A ->H1
    .
    .
    .
    .
    K->H1500

    I understand that to count the number of A's, we have:
    =countif(=H1:H1500,"A")

    Similarly, =countif(H1:H1500,"B") for B
    .
    .
    .
    .

    But to this for every text is tedious.....

    Is there a unique WAY which will actually give the count of each different text/number cells , once a range is selected.

    Thanks for your time,
    Sudeep

  2. #2
    Domenic
    Guest

    Re: Counting unique text/number cells from a range

    Try...

    =SUMPRODUCT((H1:H1500<>"")/COUNTIF(H1:H1500,H1:H1500&""))

    Hope this helps!

    In article <[email protected]>,
    sudeepd12 <[email protected]>

  3. #3

    text/number cells from a range

    Thanks for the command. It gives the number of distinctive or unique values in the range.

    Could you suggest a way to get the count of each of the repetitive values without having to specify each using the COUNTIF command.

    For instance
    -----------
    jbushnel -->A1
    jbreen
    jthayer
    rrobinson
    ajagmag
    jthayer
    jbushnel -->A7
    -----------

    I am looking for a formula which will split the results as:

    A8--> jbushnell 2-->B8
    jthayer 2
    rrobinson 1
    ajagmag 1
    jbreen 1

    Is this possible?Please let me know. Thanks for your time.

    Regards,
    Sudeep

  4. #4
    Forum Expert