Recovering a file that won't open

  1. #1
    Jeff Jones
    Guest

    Recovering a file that won't open

    A file of 22 MB fails to open. It starts the process of opening but then
    hangs up before anything appears on the screen. Is there any way to recover
    this file?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Chrissy
    Guest

    RE: Recovering a file that won't open

    In the open dialog box, did you try clicking the down arrow at the right-most
    edge of the Open button and select Open and Repair...?

  3. #3
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: Recovering a file that won't open

    Hi Jeff,

    See Chip Pearson's notes at:

    ---
    Regards,
    Norman

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4

    Re: Recovering a file that won't open

    Maybe you could try to find a copy of xl2002+ to see if opening|saving it there
    would help.

    Lots of people have said that openoffice has recovered workbooks that excel
    couldn't.
    (http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-65 meg download or a CD)

    If the file is really important, there are commercial recovery services. I've
    never used it, but you might want to check into:
    http://www.officerecovery.com