2 Column Data lookup

  1. #1
    Hari
    Guest

    2 Column Data lookup

    Hi,

    I have data in column A, B and C starting from row number 2.

    Also, I have some data in column P and Q starting from row number 2.

    The data in A and B TOGETHER constitute a Unique ID. Similarly data in
    P and Q together constitute a Unique ID.

    Now based on the data in P and Q I want to look up A and B and return
    value from C in column R.

    As of now, I use an inefficient way of building up a helper column in D
    (D2 = A2 & B2) and S (S2 = P2 and Q2). Then in R2 I write the formula,
    = =INDEX($C$2:$D$1000,MATCH(S2,$D$2:$D$1000,0),1)

    Is there a better way of accomplishing the above (an array formula or
    some mega formula which doesnt resort to inserting dummy columns etc)

    Please guide me.

    Regards,
    Hari
    India

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: 2 Column Data lookup

    Hi!

    Try this:

    Array entered:

    =INDEX($C$2:$D$1000,MATCH(P2&Q2,$A$2:$A$1000&$B$2:$B$1000,0),1)

    Is it more efficient than using 2 helper columns? Maybe, maybe not! It
    depends!

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3