moving cell contents (automatically)

  1. #1
    Rusty
    Guest

    moving cell contents (automatically)

    I have a spread sheet that contains one column of information. That column
    contains client addresses. Each line of the address is in a seperate cell
    (Name in A1, Street in A2, City,State,Zip in A3). This pattern continues
    through about 1000 contacts. I need to move the contents out from a single
    colum to three colums where column A would be Name, B would be Street, and C
    would be City,State,Zip.

    Is there a way to have excel do this automatically. Say move every 2nd cell
    to colum B and every 3rd cell to column C.

    By the way, I am using Office XP, but have 2003 at home if needed.

    Thanks in advance.

    Rusty

  2. #2
    bj
    Guest

    RE: moving cell contents (automatically)

    one method
    in B1 enter =A2
    in C1 enter =A3
    in D1 enter =mod(Row(),3)
    copy B1:D1 and paste to the bottom of the date
    Select all
    Copy and paste special values
    and <data><Filter><Autofilter>
    in column D filter arrows select Custom Not equal to 1
    Select all of the rows except row 1 (Because of the way that autofilter
    works the top row is not filtered)
    delete these rows