Drop Down Menu

  1. #1
    srf1030
    Guest

    Drop Down Menu

    How do I add a drop down menu to a spreadsheet?

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Drop Down Menu

    Take a look at Validation in XL Help.

  3. #3
    srf1030
    Guest

    Re: Drop Down Menu

    I used the validation command, however I want the arrow button to show at all
    times. Not just when you move the mouse to that cell. Do you know how to do
    that?

  4. #4

    Re: Drop Down Menu

    There's a combobox (aka dropdown) on the Forms toolbar and a combobox (aka
    combobox) on the Control toolbox toolbar.

    If you use a dropdown from the Forms toolbar, you can rightclick on it and
    choose Format control.

    From the Control tab, you can assign the input range of valid values.
    (I used a1:a10 of sheet1)

    And you can define a linked cell on that control tab, too.
    (I used B1 of sheet1.)

    This linked cell returns a number into that list--not the value of the dropdown.

    So I used this formula in C1 to get the selected item in the dropdown.
    =IF(B1="","",INDEX(A1:A10,B1))

    =====
    If you choose to use a combobox from the control toolbox toolbar, you can
    rightclick on the combobox and show its properties.

    That's where you choose .linkedcell and .listfillrange (and other stuff,
    including .style (fmstyledropdownlist to prevent users from typing anything).)

    The linkedcell of this combobox will show the value of the combobox.

    ==========
    ps. I just color the cell with the data|Validation to show that's required for
    input.

  5. #5
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Drop Down Menu

    It can't. You need to use a combobox for that.

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    srf1030