Subtotal vs Pivot table - or best way

  1. #1
    klafert
    Guest

    Subtotal vs Pivot table - or best way

    Below is sample data. What I am trying to do is that I have the Headings on
    1 row and different columns. Second row has the detailed data in the rows
    and columns below, (as normal). I have the spread sheet sorted bye
    Customer ID and Item Description.

    The third row is the subtotal row. I only need the data on the Subtotal
    Row. However, I need on that same Line the second line data for the
    headings. When I use the subtotal command - it only shows on the subtotal
    line the total for the Quantity and Item description. Because I told it to
    subtotal those fields when the Item description changes. I am getting the
    correct total, but don’t need the details. But don't want to have to retype
    the customer ID Sales and other headings on the subtotal line. If this is
    not to confusing. I was looking at Pivot table and kind of understood but
    little confuse on the process. Of course whatever way is better.

    CustomerID Quantity ItemDescription Sales
    Customer_Bill_Name

    ACADEMY 1 Buck Snort Assortment C 65.52 Academy -
    Houston

    1 Buck Snort Assortment C Total 65.52

  2. #2

    Re: Subtotal vs Pivot table - or best way

    I think that if you spend a little more time with pivottables, you'll be happier
    with a pivottable.

    (Give it an hour and you'll be an expert!)

    If you want to read more about the pivottable stuff, you may want to look at
    some links:

    Debra Dalgleish's pictures at Jon Peltier's site:
    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivottables.htm
    And Debra's own site:

    John Walkenbach also has some at:
    http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/general.htm
    (look for Tony Gwynn's Hit Database)

    Chip Pearson keeps Harald Staff's notes at:

    MS has some at (xl2000 and xl2002):
    http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/XCrtPiv.aspx
    http://office.microsoft.com/assistan...lconPT101.aspx

  3. #3
    klafert
    Guest

    Re: Subtotal vs Pivot table - or best way

    Thanks so much, love the site you refer me to. Also, I was worried about the
    data for when I save it in .csv format, because I have to import this data.
    But I did a test save in that format and think it will be fine.