Why file opens so slowly?

  1. #1
    Michael Brooks
    Guest

    Why file opens so slowly?

    I would welcome any insights as to why one of my Excel files opens soooo
    slowly.

    I'm running Win 2K, Excel 2000, with plenty of ram and free disk space.
    Normally Excel files open in less than a second. But this one has been
    taking more and more time, and recently took 10 - 15 minutes. Saving takes a
    long time too.

    Really the file is not very big, less than a megabyte. The file has three
    sheets. One sheet just has a few hundred words of text; the second sheet has
    only 20 numbers and a couple of column sums. The largest sheet has 54 rows
    and about 50 columns, only 12 of which are numbers, another 12 just dates.
    No complicated formulas--just carrying the sum of one column over to the top
    of the next column. There are no macros, no code.

    It does have a large number of check-box controls (a few hundred). Could
    that be a problem?

    I could not find any way to delete the checkboxes in design mode, except by
    selecting them one at a time...so I created a new file and cut/pasted
    everything but the checkboxes. So far the reconstructed file is opening very
    quickly.

    Do you think:
    1. the checkboxes caused a problem? (if so, I'll avoid them in future, at
    least in large quantities)
    2. or the file was just corrupted somehow?
    3. or some other problem?

    Thanks!

  2. #2

    Re: Why file opens so slowly?

    If you've used checkboxes from the control toolbox toolbar, try deleting the
    files in the temp folder.

    Close excel (and don't be installing any new software)
    window start button|run
    %temp%

    is a quick way to get to that temp folder.

  3. #3
    Michael Brooks
    Guest

    Re: Why file opens so slowly?

    Many thanks--miraculously, after deleting 10GB from the temp folder, the
    original excel file opens much more quickly! I never would have guessed the
    solution, but am glad it was something simple!

    news:[email protected]...