I can't format 01/19/2004 to read January 19, 2004, please help!!

  1. #1
    paulonline66
    Guest

    I can't format 01/19/2004 to read January 19, 2004, please help!!

    Dragged and dropped a series of dates and now I can't convert them to sort
    them properly. What to do??

  2. #2
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: I can't format 01/19/2004 to read January 19, 2004, please help!!

    Hi Paul,

    "paulonline66" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I can't format 01/19/2004 to read January 19, 2004, please help!!
    > Dragged and dropped a series of dates and now I can't convert them to sort
    > them properly. What to do??

    With the date cells selected:

    Data | Text to Columns | Next | Next | Select the Date option and Select
    the DMY option in the dropdown box | Finish

    ---
    Regards,
    Norman

  3. #3
    paulonline66
    Guest

    Re: I can't format 01/19/2004 to read January 19, 2004, please hel

    Hello Norman,

    I followed your instructions to the letter several times without any
    success. I've pasted the values as "values", without changing any format,
    and I'm unable to reformat them at all. Would this have anything to do with
    the "/"?

    Thanks for your assistance, I think I'm getting closer....

  4. #4
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: I can't format 01/19/2004 to read January 19, 2004, please hel

    Hi Paul,

    I copied 01/19/2004 from your posted line:

    > I can't format 01/19/2004 to read January 19, 2004, please help!!

    into a number of cells in a column. I then :

    1) Selected Text to Columns on the Data menu (with the cells selected!)
    2) Checked the 'Fixed Width" option
    3) Hit the 'Next' button
    4) Hit the 'Next' button
    5) Checked the 'Date' option
    6) Selected 'MDY' in the dropdown
    7) Hit the 'Finish' button

    This converted the original text values to dates which I was then able to
    format as desired.

    ---
    Regards,
    Norman

  5. #5
    paulonline66
    Guest

    Re: I can't format 01/19/2004 to read January 19, 2004, please hel

    Hello Norman,

    Y'know, I think I've discovered the problem. You were absolutely right of
    course, once I found out what else was going on.

    It seems that the dates that I copied from an online source have a space
    placed before and after the value (which I've been unable to eliminate
    without going through each cell seperately and deleting it). For example,
    "1/19/2004" is actually being pasted as " 1/19/2004 ". Once the space has
    been removed from in front of the value (rear space doesn't seem to matter),
    I'm able to follow your instructions and it works like a charm. Sorry for
    doubting you!!!

    By the way, if you happen to know, how can I get rid of these damn spaces
    efficiently I'd be eternally grateful!

    Thanks for your patience and persistence!

    Paul

  6. #6
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: I can't format 01/19/2004 to read January 19, 2004, please hel

    Hi Paul,

    > By the way, if you happen to know, how can I get rid of these damn spaces
    > efficiently I'd be eternally grateful!

    See David McRitchie's TrimAll sub at:

    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/join.htm - trimall

    Additionally, if you are not familiar with macros, see David McRitchie's
    introduction notes at:

    ---
    Regards,
    Norman