Dragging to select multiple rows causes out of control scroll

  1. #1
    ronlee67
    Guest

    Dragging to select multiple rows causes out of control scroll

    When I select a number of rows by click and drag method, the rows scroll by
    too fast to control. Is there a way to slow down this scrolling?

  2. #2
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: Dragging to select multiple rows causes out of control scroll

    "ronlee67" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > When I select a number of rows by click and drag method, the rows scroll
    > by
    > too fast to control. Is there a way to slow down this scrolling?

    Hi Roplee67,

    You can change the scroll speed of your mouse:

    Start | Control Panel | Mouse | Wheel | Scrolling

    Depending on your OS version, access to the Mouse settings may be via the
    'Printers and Other Hardware' Control Panel option.

    ---
    Regards,
    Norman

  3. #3
    ronlee67
    Guest

    RE: Dragging to select multiple rows causes out of control scroll

    The scroll settings is already set to it's slowest setting. I did go back and
    checked the mouse settings but could make no improvement.

    This problem occurs only in Excel. To clarify a bit, if I try to select
    several rows by clicking on the top desired row and dragging down to include
    more rows in the selection, when I get to the bottom 'displayed row' and drag
    below that (off screen) the rows below automatically are pulled up into the
    display. When that occurs, the scrolling speeds up to some astronomical speed
    so that I can't control where it stops.

    i.e. If my normal display shows 40 rows per screen, and I try to select rows
    1 thru 60, I select row 1, click and drag downward, when I get to row 41 I
    loose control as rows 41 through 60 and beyond move up into view.

    I'm not sure this is technically "scrolling" as it is pulling rows into view
    as a drag down. The scroll bars are not involved in this procedure.

    Ron

  4. #4

    another way

    This is a very common problem. To get around it, you can select the first row as you normally do with the mouse. Then, hold the shift key and press the down arrow until you have highlighted the rows you want. The arrow key is much easier to control and doesn't fly off on you.

    Try Ctrl+Shift+ down arrow. It takes you to the end of your data. This works for highlight cells (not just rows) also.

  5. #5
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: Dragging to select multiple rows causes out of control scroll

    Hi Ronlee67,

    The further you drag off screen, the faster the scroll speed. If your
    intention is only to scroll a small distance below the visible data, drag
    your mouse pointer just to the status bar. Operating in this manner, your
    scroll should be easily controllable.

    Norman

  6. #6
    ronlee67
    Guest

    Re: Dragging to select multiple rows causes out of control scroll

    Yesac142 Your idea works best for me. Thank you!
    Norman Jones: Thanks for your ideas. Your methods worked for me in years
    past, but with newer, faster computers the scrolling gets out of control for
    me. I always had some problem with this, even with slow computers, but
    keeping the cursor just above the task bar used to work for me too. Not any
    more.

    I hadn't thought about yesac142's method until he brought it up and it seems
    to be a good workaround. I'm also using Excel 2000 which might be part of the
    problem. Perhaps newer versions provide for slower dragging. Hope so. Will be
    upgrading soon.

    Thanks to both of you!

    Ron