Percentages

  1. #1
    Vince Carlese
    Guest

    Percentages

    With Excel, can I have one cell give me a percentage of another cell? If so,
    can you show me how to do that?

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Percentages

    One way:

    A1: <one cell>
    B1: <another cell>

    C1: =(A1-B1)/B1

    or, more efficiently:

    C1: =A1/B1-1

    Format C1 as a percentage.

  3. #3
    Vince Carlese
    Guest

    Re: Percentages

    I would like cell E8 to equal 5 percent of E36, and I would like E11 to equal
    15 percent of E36 cna you tell me where I would put the equations and what
    the equations would be?

  4. #4

    Smile

    Hey there,

    This will give you the answer you are looking for

    (insert the code in inverted commas into the cells)

    E8 =: "=E36*0.05"

    E11=: "=E36*0.15"

    This will give you the answer you are looking for.

    Any other problems just let us know.

    Kind regards,

    Rob Turnbull
    Sortoutmyexcel.com

  5. #5
    Vince Carlese
    Guest

    Re: Percentages

    Rob,
    i'm sorry this is so difficult. i don't understand what you mean when you
    say to "insert the code in inverted commas." When I type in E8=:"=E36*0.05"
    in the cell E8, it doesn't give me the percentage of the number in cell E36.

  6. #6
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Percentages

    In cell E8, enter

    =E36 * 0.05

    in cell E11 enter

    =E36 * 0.15

    The English often call quotation marks "inverted commas", even though in
    plain text, quotation marks aren't curved like commas, and with "smart
    quotes", only the initial set of "commas" are inverted, and those are
    backwards...

  7. #7
    Vince Carlese
    Guest

    Re: Percentages

    Thank you very much!

  8. #8

    Cool percentages

    i designed a workbook i use to calculate the percentage of a fixed benefit amount to more than 1 beneficiary. i have had problems controlling the results, for example, 33% of $100.00 produces a results that when added do not produce an even $100.00. what is the best method for resolving this issue? please help me. thank you.

  9. #9
    Forum Guru
    North America
    MS-Off Ver
    2002/XP and 2007
    Posts
    15,829
    Gregorio:

    Some may prefer if you start a new thread for your question.

    How large of an error are we talking about? Could it just be rounding error?? Is this the kind of scenario you're looking at?

    $100*33%=$33
    3*$33=$99<>$100

    This is because 33%<>1/3 1/3=33.333333333333333.....%.

    Can you be more specific on what your problem is?

  10. #10
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Percentages