Which formula to use ?

  1. #1
    JDuncan
    Guest

    Which formula to use ?

    I've tried messing aroung with a couple of formulas in an attempt to sort
    this out, however nothing seems to be resulting in what I'd like to
    accomplish. I've done up an example of what I'd like to do...
    I would like to be able to have a persons name entered into column A if the
    number in column B matches the number that has been assigned to that person.
    I would like for the formula to be the same for each entry so that I can
    just copy it from cell to cell.
    What I have in mind is something like "If 25678 = Mark Jones, then enter
    Mark Jones in column A"
    The numbers in column B will not always be in the same order, so the cell
    query that is run will have to run every possible combination which will
    result in a long formula.
    Any ideas ?

    A B
    25678 25678 = Mark Jones
    43678 43678 = Steve Yak
    21245 21245 = Marla Stevens
    43253 43253 = Tyrone Belkin
    32431 32431 = Yousef Alzone
    88895 88895 = Greg Simson
    34657 34657 = Arlene Wilson

    Thanks,
    James

  2. #2
    JDuncan
    Guest

    Re: Which formula to use ?

    Argh ! I see the box didn't show up...
    Just try to picture a column of boxes under A and a column of boxes with the
    5 digit numbers in them down column B.
    The duplicate set of numbers that are showing name relations are just to
    show which number is associated with which name.

    Thanks

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Which formula to use ?

    Take a look at VLOOKUP in XL Help.

    In another part of your worksheet, or on a second sheet (say, Sheet2,
    columns A & B), put your numbers and equivalent names:

    A B
    1 NUMBER NAME
    2 21245 Marla Stevens
    3 25678 Mark Jones
    8 88895 Arlene Wilson

    Then back on your entry sheet, in column A enter

    A1: =VLOOKUP(B1, Sheet2!A:B, 2, FALSE)

  4. #4
    JDuncan
    Guest

    Re: Which formula to use ?

    Thanks, I'll give it a try !

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: Which formula to use ?

    Where is the data list that defines which number belongs to which name, and
    in what form is this data list?

    For example:
    Is the number in Column A and the name in Column B in the data list, or vice
    versa?

    Some additional information would help make any suggestions offered more
    accurate.

    RD