How do I create a "fixed-width" datafile?

  1. #1
    Alex K
    Guest

    How do I create a "fixed-width" datafile?

    I need to create a fixed-width file from an Excel .xls file to import into my
    FedEx shipping software.

    How may I save or convert my file into a fixed field datafile?

    Thanks in advance,

    Alex

  2. #2

    Re: How do I create a "fixed-width" datafile?

    If you don't have too long a line (no more than 240 characters per line), try
    saving a copy of your workbook as a .prn file.

    Look in the Save As Type box:
    Formatted Text (Space delimited)(*.prn)

    I like to change to Courier New font and resize the columns the way I like.

  3. #3
    Alex K
    Guest

    Re: How do I create a "fixed-width" datafile?

    Dave,

    Thank you for responding. I do need to save the file as a "fixed field".
    the .prn option saves it as a "space" delimited file.

    Know how to get it into a "fixed field" format?
    I have about 30 columns of data with 2-35 characters per cell. And about
    2000 rows.

    Thanks again,

    Alex

  4. #4

    Re: How do I create a "fixed-width" datafile?

    Actually, it doesn't save the file as space delimited (each field separated by a
    single space). It's fixed width.

    The number of rows don't matter--but the number of characters per line will.

    Another option is to have a macro do it for you.

    JE McGimpsey has some nice code you can borrow and enhance at:
    http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/textfiles.html

  5. #5
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: How do I create a "fixed-width" datafile?

    Alex,

    I think Dave's solution is what you need. There's a section on fixed-length
    text files at http://www.smokeylake.com/excel/textfiles.htm that may help.

    --
    Earl Kiosterud
    www.smokeylake.com/