Use of variable to identify range of sheets in a workbook

  1. #1
    rhs414
    Guest

    Use of variable to identify range of sheets in a workbook

    My workbook is set up with sheets for each month. I would like to summarize
    different periods in a sheet at the end (YTD). I would like to set up two
    cells on the YTD sheet to receive my input for the start and end sheets
    (Jan05 and May05 for example). I would then set up the cells on the YTD sheet
    to calculate summaries for the ranges input--e.g., =sum(start date:end date).
    Can this be done? Is my question making sense?
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: Use of variable to identify range of sheets in a workbook

    This would be a lot easier if all the data were on one sheet. You could add
    a column for month, then autofilter to reduce it to any particular month at
    will. Read "Data across multiple sheets" at
    http://www.smokeylake.com/excel/excel_truths.htm.

    --
    Earl Kiosterud
    www.smokeylake.com/