Making a List from a worksheet database

  1. #1
    Glenn
    Guest

    Making a List from a worksheet database

    I have a worksheet which is a database of things people have ordered.

    Each Row has a customer number, date ordered, item number, item description.
    customer name, customer address (I only have to enter the customer number,
    and item number - the other fields fill in automatically using vlookup).

    I'd like to have another worksheet for a year end type summary where I can
    put the customer number on it in a given field and have it search through
    the database and insert on the worksheet anything that particular customer
    may have purchased.

    Is this possible? How?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Making a List from a worksheet database

    Hi!

    Piece of cake!

    But, the easiest way to do this would be to just filter your current
    database. If you would rather NOT use a filter post back and I'll explain
    how to do this with formulas.

    Biff

    news:eSEn%[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Glenn
    Guest

    Re: Making a List from a worksheet database

    I would rather not use a filter. I'd really appreciate it if you could
    provdie the other instructions.

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Making a List from a worksheet database

    Hi!

    Ok, here's the quick overview and a link to a sample file I put together:

    On sheet1 (database) the range is A1:F21, Row 1 are headers: Customer
    Number, Date Ordered, Item number, Description, Name, Address.

    You want to extract the dates, item numbers and descriptions for customer X.

    On sheet2 create a drop down for the customer number list in say, B2. Put a
    lookup formula in say, B3 to return the customer name based on the selection
    made from the drop down.

    Extract the data:

    sheet2 D1:F1 headers - Date Ordered, Item Number, Description

    Formula in cell D2 entered as an array with the key combo of
    CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER:

    =INDEX(Sheet1!B$2:B$21,SMALL(IF(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$21=$B$2,ROW($1:$20)),ROW(1:1)))

    Copy across to F1 then down. Copy down to enough rows that will be sure to
    return all the possible data. For example, if customer Jones is your best
    customer and made the most purchases, 10, copy down AT LEAST 10 rows.

    Now, if customer Smith only made 1 purchase then only 1 row of data will be
    extracted and the other rows with formulas will return #NUM! errors. I used
    conditional formatting to hide those. You can either use cf to hide those or
    you can build an error trap into the formula. An error trap in the formula
    makes the formula twice as long. The cf method is also more efficient.

    Select the entire range of formulas, say that is D2:F17.
    Goto Format>Conditional Formatting
    Formula is: =ISERROR(D2)
    Set the font color to be the same as the background fill color
    OK out.

    All this might sound somewhat complicated but it's really easy (especially
    when you've done it 1000's of times!)

    Here's a link to a sample file I put together (no macros, only 22kb)

    http://s38.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1...I2Z40FWRGCP6GV